Sunday, April 22, 2012

Yo Ho Ho...

... A Pirate's Life For Me

We had Jefferson's very first friend birthday party the week after Easter. He was beyond excited and talked about it every day. We decided on a Pirate Party and it was a hit. We played "X Marks the Spot" (modeled after Pin the Tail on the Donkey) and we had a Treasure Hunt. We had snacks and cake and goodie bags and they ran around outside playing with the toys that they had gotten for Jefferson. Good times were had by all.

This is the treasure map that I drew. It is still up because Jefferson will not let me take it down.
We got all the boys pirate hats and eye patches. They were completely adorable and had so much fun running around and talking like a pirate. They mostly kept singing, " Yo Ho Mateys Away". It took some work, but I finally convinced Jefferson that just because you have a patch over one eye does not mean that you cannot open your other eye. Here he is with his treasure map.
We got a sign for the door and Jefferson wanted to leave that up as well, but we only kept it up for the day. Here he is with his friend Gunner in their Pirate getup. Jefferson insisted on wearing his Halloween shirt due to that fact that it has pirate bones on it.
Here we are playing around while we wait on the rest of the boys. Addison was so good the whole time. I think she was in a kind of daze. She just kept looking around and checking things out.
We took a break after the treasure hunt to have some snacks.
We had Pirate Treasure Trail Mix, Pirate Ship Snackers, and Swords and Cannon Balls. The kids were so cute, they kept telling me that I had things wrong. I was telling them what we were eating and they were correcting me, like: Those are fish nets, they're pretzels or those aren't cannon balls, they're olives. It was cute and a lot of fun.
I also made these chocolate suckers from molds for the kids to take home with their treasure after the party.
For as long as this cake took me to cut and decorate, it sure doesn't look it. It looks pretty sad if you ask me, but the kids sure liked it and it did taste good.
Jefferson loved all his presents and had such a good time. It was so fun to have all those boys over, but man, by the time they left I was exhausted. We'll have to see what next year holds.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I figured you were exhausted! I checked your blog Monday after the party to see about the party! But, when I didn't see it posted I figured I would have to be patient. Since Landon was here I was thinking about all of the fun he was missing by not being able to attend his cousin Jefferson's birthday party. But, he was camping here in Texas then!

    I LOVE the cake and especially the suckers as party favors! All of it was so cute and fun!

    I will have to show you a picture of the pirate cake from when I was raising kids. I do not remember if Jason ever had a pirate cake. Joe did.

    So fun to enjoy the kids and help them have great and fun experiences in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! Landon has some aunt, uncle, cousin and grandparent presents to bring to Jefferson, also.

    I love the treasure map idea, the pirate hat & patch (along with the bones shirt), and the snacks.

    It's all just so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake is a rough and tumble cake. It shows the rusty side of the pirate. If it was all "perfectly" frosted all "nice & neat" it wouldn't fit in as a "pirate" theme. You did a great job on the cake and I can see how the kids loved it. More fun!

    ReplyDelete